Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- The Bachelor's Sean Lowe Responds to Celebrity Wife Swap Backlash
- Read the Cover Story: The Bachelorette's Kaitlyn and Shawn 'It Was Love At First Sight!'
- Want to Live like Royalty? Ex-Greek King's Former London Mansion Is for Sale – and His Godson Prince William Used to Party There!
- Rebecca Ferguson Was Where When She Found Out She'd Be Tom Cruise's Mission: Impossible Costar?
- Fruit for Thought: Lo Bosworth Shares Her Go-To Healthy Smoothie Ingredients
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 10, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 2
Hearing Their Call
Two Oregon Brothers—and Their Walkie-Talkies—star in a Mountain Rescue
After listening to the boys, Wold went outside and with his own walkie-talkie contacted the climbers, 81 miles away on Mount Hood. He then called the county sheriff's office; a rescue helicopter was dispatched, and two hours later the pair of injured climbers—Iain Morris, a 23-year-old Portland Web designer, and Jim Frankenfield, a 39-year-old climbing guide who lives in Salt Lake City—were being whisked to Portland's Legacy Emanuel Hospital. A freak rock slide had banged up Morris's left hand and badly crushed his friend's left hip. "It wasn't a life-or-death situation," says Frankenfield, "but the boys' hearing us did make a big difference."
Since the brothers' Radio Shack walkie-talkie has an advertised range of only two miles, "it's a wonder they were able to hear anything at all," laughs their proud father. (Experts say the height of Mount Hood and lack of obstructions between the climbers and the boys' position enabled the transmission to carry further than usual.) "But what's really amazing to me is that they actually managed to hear something outside of the TV."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!