Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton a 'Bigot': 'She's Going to Do Nothing for African-Americans'
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Tay to Night! Taylor Swift Picks Two Belly-Baring Looks for One Big Day in N.Y.C.
- Kate Gosselin on Twins as Dad Jon Fires Back: I'm So Proud of Them
- Sarah Jessica Parker Ends Relationship with EpiPen Maker After Price Hike: I'm 'Disappointed, Saddened and Deeply Concerned'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 17, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 3
When a Dog Sinks Its Teeth In, Attorney Ken Phillips Goes for the Throat
Phillips, 48, a lawyer in Los Angeles, is interested in just one kind of client—the kind with bite marks. The deeper, the better. "I don't do your average dog bite," he says. "I do serious, disfiguring injuries."
And there's plenty of call for his services: 4.7 million dog bites each year in the U.S., 800,000 of them serious. "I talk during career days at lots of schools," says Phillips, whose Web site, www.dogbitelaw.com, gets hundreds of hits a day. "Too many kids come up afterward, point to a scar and tell me that it's an old dog bite. Invariably their parents did nothing, because the dog belonged to someone they knew."
Since 1991 Phillips has handled more than 500 cases and brought home awards as high as $300,000, most paid by insurance companies.
Phillips, who shares his L.A. home with his wife, executive recruiter Cecile Munoz, six rabbits, a cat and fish, insists he doesn't hate dogs. He even offers tips for dog owners who don't want to see their premiums soar or their homeowners' policies canceled: "If your dog displays aggressive tendencies, hook up with somebody—an obedience trainer or, better yet, an animal behaviorist. Keep your dog on a leash if it's off your property. And if you want your family to be safe, don't buy a guard dog, buy a burglar alarm."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!