Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Refugee Killed by California Police Allegedly Drew Vape Device During 'Mental Emergency'
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Golden Girls Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Wow In Second Barely-There Balmain Outfits
- Blac Chyna Says She Posted Rob Kardashian's Phone Number on Twitter to Stop Him Texting Other Women
- President Obama Tries the Splits with the Final Five as He Welcomes Team USA to the White House
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 17, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 3
One for the Ages
Apart for More Than 70 Years, Ex-Sweethearts Paul Johnston and Lula Marschat Tie the Knot
The dream began in 1923 at Idaho's Albion State Normal School. "We were in love," says Paul, then 18. They both became schoolteachers, but with 150 miles between them—and no phone or car—the romance withered. In 1927 both married others. "It was," says Paul, "out of sight, out of mind."
Not quite. Flash-forward seven children (three for Lula, four for Paul) and 29 grandkids. In March, Paul, whose wife had died in 1997, was thumbing through newspaper obits—how's that for romantic?—when he stumbled across a name that sounded like Lula's husband, Laurence Marschat. Curious, he tracked her down and found that Laurence had died in 1989. Lula, whose first reaction was, "My goodness, he's still alive," invited Paul to visit. An old-fashioned gal, she insisted her suitor stay at her brother's house, a 10-minute walk away. Four days later he proposed. Family members were stunned but soon came around, and on June 10 the couple wed in Woodburn's Mormon church, with Paul moving into Lula's that night. Though Lula says they were "too tired" to honeymoon, they plan to take swimming classes, and Paul wants his bride to teach him checkers. Despite their time apart, they've already caught up. "I feel," says Lula, "like I've been married to him all my life."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!