Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Watch Maroon 5, 5SOS Pharrell & Gwen Stefani Perform at the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Read the Cover Story: Family and Friends Remember Robin Williams
- Kate Upton Tells Boyfriend 'You're Welcome' for Her Sexiness
- PEOPLE Magazine Awards: Watch Mindy Kaling and Chris Messina's Hot Moment! (VIDEO)
- Photo Proof That Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Lopez Never (Ever!) Age
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday December 19, 2014 04:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 17, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 3
One for the Ages
Apart for More Than 70 Years, Ex-Sweethearts Paul Johnston and Lula Marschat Tie the Knot
The dream began in 1923 at Idaho's Albion State Normal School. "We were in love," says Paul, then 18. They both became schoolteachers, but with 150 miles between them—and no phone or car—the romance withered. In 1927 both married others. "It was," says Paul, "out of sight, out of mind."
Not quite. Flash-forward seven children (three for Lula, four for Paul) and 29 grandkids. In March, Paul, whose wife had died in 1997, was thumbing through newspaper obits—how's that for romantic?—when he stumbled across a name that sounded like Lula's husband, Laurence Marschat. Curious, he tracked her down and found that Laurence had died in 1989. Lula, whose first reaction was, "My goodness, he's still alive," invited Paul to visit. An old-fashioned gal, she insisted her suitor stay at her brother's house, a 10-minute walk away. Four days later he proposed. Family members were stunned but soon came around, and on June 10 the couple wed in Woodburn's Mormon church, with Paul moving into Lula's that night. Though Lula says they were "too tired" to honeymoon, they plan to take swimming classes, and Paul wants his bride to teach him checkers. Despite their time apart, they've already caught up. "I feel," says Lula, "like I've been married to him all my life."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!