Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: First Lady Michelle Obama Says She's 'Straight Up Nailing' Her Job on Resume in College Humor Skit
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Refugee Killed by California Police Allegedly Drew Vape Device During 'Mental Emergency'
- Golden Girls Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Wow In Second Barely-There Balmain Outfits
- Blac Chyna Says She Posted Rob Kardashian's Phone Number on Twitter to Stop Him Texting Other Women
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 17, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 3
A Simple Plan
With Down-Home Care and Up-Front Pricing ($7 Stitches, $30 Splints), Dr. Lisa Grigg Has Patients Saying 'aaah'
Grigg did more than wonder. Six months later she quit her job as a physician at Rutland Regional Medical Center in Vermont and opened the cash-only Simply Medicine Clinic in nearby Wallingford. "Welcome!" reads the sign in the waiting room. "Labor $2 a minute, small bandages $1, large bandages $2," and on, up to "knee splints $30."
That's right: No HMO copays. No fighting for appointments. (Heck, there are no appointments.) Just walk in and see the doctor for the price on the sign. "It got rid of the mystery," says Grigg, who sees more than 50 patients a week, three-quarters of them uninsured. Those who have been to the clinic, housed in a renovated 18th-century farmhouse, rave about the friendly, old-fashioned care, albeit care timed by a stopwatch. "The first time," says bank teller Lena Cote, 50, laughing, "I talked so much it cost $20. The next time I talked less and it cost $8."
And while some doctors gripe that she is undercutting their services, Grigg insists her approach is an attempt to repair the fractured relationship between the medical community and patients. "I've actually gotten tips from people who think I'm not charging enough," she says. "They're like, 'Here, you need more money!' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!