Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- How Prince William and Princess Kate Are Softening the Royal Family's Stiff-Upper Lip by Showing Their Emotions
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- WATCH AND SHOP: Never Have a Bad Hair Day Again with This Celeb-Loved Curling Iron
- Sara Rue's Toddler Talulah Already Has Great One-Liners: 'She's Able to Laugh at Herself'
- Jenna Dewan Tatum Admits to Being a Closet Hog: 'Poor Chan, He Has One Little Row and I Have the Rest of It!'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 17, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 3
A Simple Plan
With Down-Home Care and Up-Front Pricing ($7 Stitches, $30 Splints), Dr. Lisa Grigg Has Patients Saying 'aaah'
Grigg did more than wonder. Six months later she quit her job as a physician at Rutland Regional Medical Center in Vermont and opened the cash-only Simply Medicine Clinic in nearby Wallingford. "Welcome!" reads the sign in the waiting room. "Labor $2 a minute, small bandages $1, large bandages $2," and on, up to "knee splints $30."
That's right: No HMO copays. No fighting for appointments. (Heck, there are no appointments.) Just walk in and see the doctor for the price on the sign. "It got rid of the mystery," says Grigg, who sees more than 50 patients a week, three-quarters of them uninsured. Those who have been to the clinic, housed in a renovated 18th-century farmhouse, rave about the friendly, old-fashioned care, albeit care timed by a stopwatch. "The first time," says bank teller Lena Cote, 50, laughing, "I talked so much it cost $20. The next time I talked less and it cost $8."
And while some doctors gripe that she is undercutting their services, Grigg insists her approach is an attempt to repair the fractured relationship between the medical community and patients. "I've actually gotten tips from people who think I'm not charging enough," she says. "They're like, 'Here, you need more money!' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!