Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Watch Maroon 5, 5SOS Pharrell & Gwen Stefani Perform at the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Read the Cover Story: Family and Friends Remember Robin Williams
- Kate Upton Tells Boyfriend 'You're Welcome' for Her Sexiness
- PEOPLE Magazine Awards: Watch Mindy Kaling and Chris Messina's Hot Moment! (VIDEO)
- Photo Proof That Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Lopez Never (Ever!) Age
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday December 19, 2014 01:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 24, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 4
You Can Get Anything You Want at Andrea Halperin's Manhattan Grocery—Except Fat
No more. Last September the former marketing executive opened F3, a 4,300-sq.-ft. grocery store on Manhattan's East Side, a one-stop fat-free emporium where the aisles are filled with guiltless goodies—and lots of excited customers. "Normally when I walk into a supermarket, there's a battle between my id and my superego, with usually the id winning out," says psychiatrist Isaac Herschkopf, 50, who loves the store's healthful cheesecakes and dried fruit. "When I walk into F3, there's no struggle."
Growing up in Great Neck, N.Y., the older child of dermatologist Harvey Moser, 71, and his wife, Harriet, 59, a Ph.D. student, Halperin herself never struggled with weight but takes her customers' battles seriously. Every item she stocks must contain less than half a gram of fat per serving (the FDA requirement for "fat-free" foods)—and pass her personal taste test. "If I don't like it, I don't have it," says Halperin, who lives in Manhattan with her dermatologist husband, Peter, 38. It has been worth the effort for both Halperin—who expects sales of $1.5 million this year—and her customers. "I've gotten hugs from people," she says. "They get the feeling they're in a candyland. They say, 'Thank you so much for this store. This is what I've always wanted.' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!