Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Britney Spears Shows off 'Favorite' New Swimsuit as She Showcases Slender Physique in Instagram Snaps
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- Donald Trump Named Presumptive GOP Nominee As Ted Cruz Drops Out of Presidential Race
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani to Perform Their New Duet on The Voice
- Bernie Sanders Wins Indiana Primary in Shock Victory, As Donald Trump is Named Presumptive GOP Nominee
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 14, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 7
Ex-Teacher Anna Beavers Mends the Apparel—and Restores the Pride—of Needy Kids in Her Virginia Town
Now 78 and retired since 1987, Beavers regularly visits three Middleburg schools to collect the names of kids she can help. She has cut back on personal deliveries and instead mails packages with mended togs to seven families with a total of 21 children. "She is a quiet hero," says former student Diane Preece, 42. "She tends to everyone's needs."
Living on limited income since her husband, Dudley, a cattle and grain farmer, died in 1994, she accepts donations but also finances her good works by making and selling quilts. This allows Beavers, who grew up on a tobacco farm in South Hill, Va., to do what is still most important to her—keeping poor kids from feeling like outcasts. "They're standing with their peers," she says. "I just maybe give them the foundation they need to get going."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!