Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's French Estate Chateau Miraval Is Not for Sale
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Ariel Winter Calls Out 'Complete Sexism' in Hollywood: 'It's Disgusting to Me'
- Multiple Injuries at New Jersey Commuter Station as Train Crashes into Station
- Princess Kate Channels Prince Charles (Yes, Prince Charles) on Canadian Tour
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 14, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 7
Ex-Teacher Anna Beavers Mends the Apparel—and Restores the Pride—of Needy Kids in Her Virginia Town
Now 78 and retired since 1987, Beavers regularly visits three Middleburg schools to collect the names of kids she can help. She has cut back on personal deliveries and instead mails packages with mended togs to seven families with a total of 21 children. "She is a quiet hero," says former student Diane Preece, 42. "She tends to everyone's needs."
Living on limited income since her husband, Dudley, a cattle and grain farmer, died in 1994, she accepts donations but also finances her good works by making and selling quilts. This allows Beavers, who grew up on a tobacco farm in South Hill, Va., to do what is still most important to her—keeping poor kids from feeling like outcasts. "They're standing with their peers," she says. "I just maybe give them the foundation they need to get going."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!