Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 2 Killed, 16 Wounded in Mass Shooting Outside Florida Nightclub
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Comic-Con Has Started – and Fans Are Going All Out with Their Costumes
- RHONJ's Teresa Giudice Struggles to Balance Motherhood with Post-Prison Restrictions: 'It's Hard to Be Monitored All the Time'
- 7 Times Jennifer Lopez & Her Rock-Hard Abs Made Us Forget She's 47
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 21, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 8
Sir Alec Guinness Stood Out by Disappearing—into His Roles
Guinness's long and placid voyage came to an end Aug. 5. The 86-year-old actor, who was ailing with prostate cancer and coronary thrombosis, died in the cancer ward of King Edward VII Hospital in Midhurst, West Sussex, England, not far from the country home in Hampshire he shared with Merula, 86, his wife of 62 years and an artist. (The couple had one son, actor Matthew, 60.)
A child of poverty and loneliness, Guinness was an elusive presence. "I can walk through a crowd at the stage door, who are presumably waiting to see me," he told Britain's Daily Telegraph in 1993, "and nobody will notice me at all." Though extremely shy, he nurtured his comrades. "We all felt we knew him in a way," says Star Wars pal Mark Hamill. Recalls costar Harrison Ford: "He helped me find a place to live and made sure I knew where to eat. It was a prince of the theater being very generous to an apprentice."
Guinness was active until the end. He starred in a BBC TV family comedy in 1996 and published his third book of memoirs last year. And yet for all his celebrity, his calling was always clear. Once asked how he would like his obituary to read, Guinness replied, "If my ghost could hover outside some London underground station on a foggy I November night just as the crowds were pouring down, I'd like to see the newspaper poster: ACTOR DIES."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!