Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Find Out Why Derek Hough Is 'Traumatized' After Watching Little Sis Julianne's Lip Sync Battle
- The Best Photos from the Week of Mar. 23- Mar. 29, 2015
- Shahs of Sunset's Mike Shouhed Is Married! See What the Bride (and His Castmates!) Wore
- Are You Ready for Jurassic World?
- Amanda Knox's Ex Raffaele Sollecito: 'I Believed in Her Innocence'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 21, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 8
Galveston's Lifeguards Help Wheelchair Users Go Once More Unto the Beach
The burning enthusiasm is understandable. Before that day, Gulis had been unable to enjoy the Galveston beaches since 1982, when he was paralyzed from the chest down after crashing his car in a drunk-driving accident. (No one else was injured.) Since sand and salt water are a wheelchair's worst enemies, it became impossible for Gulis, now the founder and president of the nonprofit Action Against Drinking and Driving, to get any closer than the boardwalk.
To help Gulis and others like him, four members of the Galveston beach patrol got together last January and put together a fleet of seven sand-and-surf-friendly wheelchairs with big wheels that don't bog down in the sand. "They look like Tonka toys," says beach patrol supervisor Dave Paris, 26, who helped construct the chairs, based on a design by Florida lifeguard Mike Hensler, 49.
Peter Davis, 35, assistant director of the Galveston beach patrol, which funded the cost of materials—about $500 a chair—and provides them at no charge, estimates that about 30 people now use the chairs each week. "They just glide over the sand," says Gulis. "It's almost like four-wheel drive."
March 30, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!