Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- The Invites Are Out! Leonardo DiCaprio to Host Glamorous Fundraising Gala in St. Tropez
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- 9 Wedding-Worthy Shoes That You Can Actually Dance In
- 7 Days, 7 Dinners: Your Recipe Meal Planner for the Week
- FROM EW: American Horror Story's Cheyenne Jackson Confirms He'll Be Back for Season 6
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 25, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 13
A Homer's Odyssey: at San Francisco's New Bayside Stadium, Portuguese Water Dogs Retrieve All Dingers
Rio, Shadow and Topper are among the six Portuguese water dogs of the Giants' new Baseball Aquatic Retrieval Korps (BARK). During Saturday home games the dogs wait in a boat just outside the bayfront stadium, ready to dive into the water and retrieve any balls that come their way. The idea came from writer-comedian Don Novello, who played the oleaginous Sarducci on Saturday Night Live, because, as he puts it, "baseball gets slow." Giants president Peter Magowan loved the tongue-in-cheek concept, calling it a "brilliant suggestion."
The web-footed dogs, whose ancestors were used to herd fish into nets and carry messages between boats, are trained by their owners. Balls retrieved by the dogs will be auctioned, with proceeds going to Pets in Need, a local animal shelter. In the meantime, Giants fans are treated to scoreboard photos of the dogs practicing in the bay.
Novello's only regret is that Lassie, his Chihuahua-dachshund mix, didn't make the team. "He couldn't open his mouth wide enough for a baseball," says Novello. "For an English muffin, maybe."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!