Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- From the PEOPLE Archives: In Simpler Times, Hillary Clinton's Big Angst Was About Chelsea and Pierced Ears, R-Rated Movies
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Olivia Wilde Shares Sweet Throwback Photo with Son Otis: Baby Girl Could Be Here 'Any Day Now'
- From TIME: Watch the First Episode of the Emmy-Nominated Series A Year in Space
- Khloé Kardashian's Airport Outfit Includes Lingerie (Of Course It Does)
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 16, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 16
Returning to New York, the Cradle of Her Career, Barbra Streisand Sings in Her Last Concerts Ever
And so they came, the believers, the famous and uncelebrated alike, to see Streisand, 58, perform in her final four concerts, two at L.A.'s Staples Center on Sept. 20 and 21, then two at New York City's Madison Square Garden on Sept. 27 and 28. No price was too high (top seats went for $2,500; nosebleeds for $125), no inconvenience too great. For a Manhattan show, Brooke Shields jetted in from Canada. In L.A., Salma Hayek flew her mother from Mexico because "it was her dream to see her all her life."
The singer, who held court for two hours at each of her shows, was far from the awkward Brooklyn girl who opened for comedian Renee Taylor at Manhattan's Bon Soir in 1961. Taylor, 67, the mom on TV's now-defunct The Nanny, recalls how Streisand used to borrow her stockings, then whip them off as she came offstage so Taylor could use them herself. "Stockings were a lot of money back then," she says.
Before closing with "People," Streisand, married since 1998 to actor James Brolin, 60, said that she was quitting the concert stage, though not the silver screen or recording studio, to have "more time to live life." But people—people who need Barbra—refuse to accept this. Says the diva's longtime friend Jesse Jackson: "We demand an encore."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!