Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Britney Spears on Embracing Life in Her 30s: 'My 20s Were Horrible!'
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Bryan Cranston, Susan Lucci and More React to All My Children Creator Agnes Nixon's Death
- Donald Trump on Alicia Machado's Miss Universe Reign: 'I Saved Her Job'
- José Fernández's Pregnant Girlfriend Maria Arias Makes First Public Appearance Since His Death at Memorial Service
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 23, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 17
Motoring on Till the End, Benjamin Orr of the Cars Succumbs to Pancreatic Cancer
Sadly, they were right. On Oct. 3 Orr died at home in Atlanta at age 53. Since being diagnosed with the incurable cancer in May, Orr (whose son Ben, 5, lives with his mother in Vermont) kept right on touring the country. "Nothing stopped him," says his fiancée, Julie Snider, 43, an event coordinator in Atlanta. "He just got up there onstage and sang his heart out."
Rock and roll was the only road Cleveland native Benjamin Orzechowski had navigated since the late '60s, when he first teamed with guitarist Ric Ocasek. By 1976 the pair had become the main engines behind the Cars, a new-wave quintet famous for such hits as "Just What I Needed," "My Best Friend's Girl" and "You Might Think," before they disbanded in 1987.
Performing with Big People, which he joined in April 1999, Orr met Snider that September, when she hired the band for a benefit. As he sickened in the course of this year, says guitarist Jeff Carlisi, Snider "felt it was the ultimate gift from God that she was given the chance to take care of him." Says Snider: "Ben was the kindest, greatest, most loving man I ever met. In the span of one year, we lived a lifetime together."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!