Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 'You're in Good Hands Baby Girl': Sheriff's Deputy Hailed as Hero for Comforting Crying Baby at the Scene of Alabama Car Wreck
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Donald Trump and Family!
- VIDEO: Meet the Next Disney Princess – and Get a First Look at Her Movie, Moana!
- How Blake Shelton's Moving On: 'He's Not Someone to Sit Around and Lick His Wounds'
- Exclusive Photo! Sandra Bullock's Happy Life with Boyfriend Bryan Randall
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 06, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 19
Lead in Ludwig's Locks May Explain Mystery Maladies
Walsh's findings put to rest earlier speculation that mercury poisoning—possibly from treatments for syphilis—killed Beethoven. But how did he accumulate such high doses of lead? At that time, before its toxicity was recognized, lead was widely used in producing ceramics, glass, paint and even medicines. But for now, scholars are reluctant to offer a definitive explanation for the extremely high level found in Beethoven's hair. "It's all guesswork," says Walsh.
The biochemist was brought into the case by Nogales, Ariz., urologist Alfredo Guevara, a Beethoven lover who bought the 582-strand lock of hair from Sotheby's in London for $7,300 six years ago. There is talk that fragments of Beethoven's skull may also become available for scientific analysis. Says Ira F. Brilliant, founder of San Jose State University's Center for Beethoven Studies: "Be patient. It's an exciting story—and it's not finished yet."
October 07, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!