Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Outlander Recap: Claire Is Forced to Choose Between Jamie and Frank
- Read the Cover Story: Jill and Derick Dillard Share Their Baby Boy's Dramatic Arrival
- Hillary Scott on Lady Antebellum's Tour Bus Fire: It's 'Nothing Compared to What It Could Have Been'
- The Untold Story of Rock Hudson's Final Days
- Jill (Duggar) and Derick Dillard: Israel David's Birth Brought Us Closer Together
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 06, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 19
Honey, There's a Mastodon in the Garden: Homeowner Larry Lozier Discovers a Boneyard in His Backyard
Lozier, 40, and his wife, Sheryl, 38, bought their 1821 white farmhouse in Hyde Park, N.Y., from Larry's parents, Si and Marie, in 1997 and set about renovating. On their agenda: restoring the silted-up pond at the end of the lawn. "I remember fishing in it," says production manager Lozier, "and my mom and dad roasting catfish." So last summer he and insurance company employee Sheryl and their daughter Laura, 7, watched as a contractor cleaned up the water hole. Left by
the side of the pond was what seemed like a big, mud-covered log. "I brushed some clay off," says Lozier, "and discovered what looked like a big knucklebone." The Loziers began sifting the debris, finding more bones, identified by Dr. Christopher R. Lindner, an archaeologist at nearby Bard College, as those of a mastodon, a primitive relative of the elephant.
For weeks scientists from the Paleontological Research Institution in Ithaca, N.Y., led by Dr. Warren Allman, slogged through the mud to recover the rest of the paleolithic pachyderm. Reassembled, it eventually will go to a museum. And, says Lozier, "it'll be a topic of conversation at every dinner party we attend for the rest of our lives."
April 18, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!