Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kipenzi, the Dallas Zoo's Baby Giraffe Born Online, Has Died
- Read the Cover Story: Inside Blake & Miranda's Shocking Split
- What Was Little People, Big World's Zach Roloff Most Nervous about on His Wedding Day?
- Proud Grandpa Prince Charles Transforms His Garden Into a Royal Playground: 'He Comes Alive Around Little George'
- Devon Sawa Challenges Nick Carter Over Who Had the Best '90s Center-Parted Bowl Cut (and We Kinda Started the Feud)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 06, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 19
Sharing the Wealth
Charlie Butcher Sells His Floor-Polish Business and Gives His Workers $18 Million
The bonuses, which vary by seniority and position (some got as much as a year's salary), left most workers "just plain incoherent," says McLaughlin, 58. "I almost started crying," says chemical compounder Mark Hamilton, 37, a 16-year Butcher veteran.
"The employees earned those checks," says Butcher, 84, who inherited the business in 1951 and grew it into a company with sales of $75 million last year. Besides, says the former owner, a father of seven children by two marriages who lives in Boulder, Colo., with his wife, Jane, 56, "I have more money than I need. I feel happy to give it away."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!