- Sylvester Stallone Offered to Boycott This Year's Oscars Following Diversity Controversy
- Read the Cover Story: Amy Duggar King: I'm Doing It My Way
- FROM EW: Maroon 5 Reacts to Taraji P. Henson's Coldplay Super Bowl Mix-up: 'We Sounded Pretty Good!'
- 'Facebook Killer' Husband Who Posted Photo of Slain Wife on Social Media Sentenced to Life in Prison
- This Just In: HLN Host Lynn Smith Welcomes a Son – See His First Photo
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- November 13, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 20
John Mellencamp: Sexiest Grandfather
"I've been a grandfather for so long it's as normal to me as being a man," says Mellencamp, 49. The hard-driving rocker assumed the title at 37 when his then-18-year-old daughter Michelle (from his first marriage to Priscilla Esterline) gave birth to Elexis, now 11—followed by Colin, 6, Hannah, 4, and Grace, 2. "I swear in front of the kids, and playing in a rock band is probably not very grandfatherly," he says.
But while a visit with Mellencamp is no walk in the park, it may be a day in the pool. He had one installed in Michelle's nearby backyard "as a blanket gift" after missing some recent birthdays, he explains. "I'm sure John doesn't fit the bill" of a stereotypical grandfather, says his third wife, model Elaine Irwin, 31, mother of their sons Hud, 6, and Speck, 5. (He also has daughters Teddi Jo, 19, and Justice, 15, from his second marriage to Vicky Granucci.)
Mellencamp doesn't look the part either. A 1994 heart attack forced the 5'7" road rat to curtail touring and smoking and take up running and weight lifting. "I didn't work out at all until I had the heart attack," admits Mellencamp, who has spent most of this year collaborating on a musical with author Stephen King. So has he improved with age? "Anyone can be sexy at 30," says Mellencamp. "But until they turn 40, guys aren't worth a damn anyway."
February 08, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!