- Calvin Harris Acknowledges Taylor Swift's Skills in Cute Instagram: 'She Cooks Too'
- Read the Cover Story: Growing Up Kennedy!
Exclusive Family Photos from White House Nanny
- Father and Sons Poisoned on Caribbean Vacation Remain Paralyzed
- PHOTO: Bethenny Frankel Bends Over Backwards (Literally) to Kick Off the Holiday Weekend
- FROM EW: TV Marathons You Can Binge on this Fourth of July Weekend
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- November 13, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 20
Gift of Hope
Battling Liver Disease, Actress Shelley Fabares Gets a Lifesaving Transplant
In part, perhaps, because Fabares wasn't sure how much life she had left. Two years ago an autoimmune form of hepatitis began ravaging her liver, causing internal bleeding and putting the former Coach and Donna Reed Show star on the waiting list for a liver transplant.
Shortly after midnight on Oct. 22, Fabares and her husband of 16 years, onetime M*A*S*H star Mike Farrell, 61, now on Providence, got the news that a donor liver had been found. The couple quickly made the 30-minute drive from their home in Studio City, Calif., to an L.A. hospital, where Fabares underwent seven hours of surgery the next morning.
The procedure seems to have gone smoothly, though Fabares is expected to remain hospitalized for about two weeks. "She's great now, a little weak, and no solid food," says Farrell. "She's a tough cookie."
She has needed to be. Fabares, an organic-food devotee who avoids alcohol and exercises regularly, first learned she had a liver abnormality in 1993. Though doctors still don't know its cause, friends and family say Fabares never indulged in self-pity. Two days before her surgery, "she was positive," says her aunt, actress Nanette Fabray, 80. "She said, 'Look, I'm glad we're living in a time that we can do this.' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!