Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Donald Trump Weighs in On Ivanka's Friendship with Chelsea Clinton: 'They Should Continue to Be Friends'
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Hillary Clinton Consults Vogue's Anna Wintour for Fashion Advice on the Campaign Trail
- Swimmer Nathan Adrian on Dating as an Olympic Athlete: 'I'd Be Open to a New Relationship If the Right Person Came Along'
- 3 Killed and 1 Injured After Gunman Opens Fire Inside House Party in Seattle
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 13, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 20
Gift of Hope
Battling Liver Disease, Actress Shelley Fabares Gets a Lifesaving Transplant
In part, perhaps, because Fabares wasn't sure how much life she had left. Two years ago an autoimmune form of hepatitis began ravaging her liver, causing internal bleeding and putting the former Coach and Donna Reed Show star on the waiting list for a liver transplant.
Shortly after midnight on Oct. 22, Fabares and her husband of 16 years, onetime M*A*S*H star Mike Farrell, 61, now on Providence, got the news that a donor liver had been found. The couple quickly made the 30-minute drive from their home in Studio City, Calif., to an L.A. hospital, where Fabares underwent seven hours of surgery the next morning.
The procedure seems to have gone smoothly, though Fabares is expected to remain hospitalized for about two weeks. "She's great now, a little weak, and no solid food," says Farrell. "She's a tough cookie."
She has needed to be. Fabares, an organic-food devotee who avoids alcohol and exercises regularly, first learned she had a liver abnormality in 1993. Though doctors still don't know its cause, friends and family say Fabares never indulged in self-pity. Two days before her surgery, "she was positive," says her aunt, actress Nanette Fabray, 80. "She said, 'Look, I'm glad we're living in a time that we can do this.' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!