Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Robert Redford & Barbra Streisand Reunite; We Get Nostalgic with The Way We Were Photos
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 20- Apr. 26, 2015
- Kim Richards: I Was 'Ashamed' to Admit I Was Drinking Again at RHOBH Reunion
- Doris Fuller on Losing Her Daughter to Mental Illness: 'Her Voices Told Her to Hurt Herself'
- Rosie O'Donnell's Rep Calls Ex's Custody Claim 'Absurd and Desperate'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 27, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 22
Israel's Leah Rabin Spoke Out to the End for the Peace Her Husband Had Fought for
When Leah Rabin died Nov. 12 of complications from melanoma at 72, she had done all she could to keep alive the peacemaking process set in motion by her husband, Israel's late prime minister, slain by a right-wing extremist in 1995. "Even at moments when the nation was confused," said former Prime Minister Shimon Peres, "her voice was clear, certain and pointed the way."
She was born in Germany, but when Hitler took power in 1933 her father sold his dry-goods business and moved the family to Palestine. After Leah wed Rabin, he rose in the army ranks, becoming chief of staff, while she raised their daughter Dalia, now 50, and son Yuval, 45, and volunteered on behalf of autistic children and other causes. It was a balanced marriage. "He was quiet and she was a talker," says a friend. "He smiled and she laughed." Rabin served two terms as prime minister, making history as the first Israeli head of state to meet with Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. After Rabin's death, Leah never hesitated to criticize his successors. But she always held out hope for the embattled peace effort. "It might be a painful process," she said last year, "but we...shall arrive at a successful end."
April 28, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!