Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Actor Chris Noth's Mom, Pioneering CBS Correspondent Jeanne Parr, Dies at 92
- Read the Cover Story: Céline Dion: 'I Lost the Love of My Life'
- WATCH: Did Jennifer Lawrence Really Take an Ambien While Filming The Hunger Games?
- Anne Hathaway Clears Up 'Unintentional Shade' after Posting Kardashians Meme: Says It's 'Not My Style'
- Who Will Win The Voice? Here's Our Prediction
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 27, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 22
Like Daughter: Ann Landers's Kid, Margo Howard, Delivers Sassy Advice Online as the Web's Dear Prudence
Michael Kinsley, editor of the online magazine Slate, is sure of it. Two years ago he hired Howard to pen Slate's advice column Dear Prudence. Every week she doles out dos and don'ts much like Landers—but with a sexy edginess her mother eschews. "She is more liberal than I would be," says Landers, 82. "But her advice is quite good."
Dispensing it was never a goal. The only child of Eppie and Jules Lederer, the late founder of Budget Rent-a-Car, Howard was 28, separated and the mother of three (now ages 33 to 37) when her pal Gene Siskel, the late Chicago Tribune film critic, urged the witty college dropout to try writing. Feature articles led to a Tribune column before Howard went freelance in the late '70s, soon after marrying actor Ken Howard, her third husband (they split in '92).
Averse to hard work ("I am without ambition," she boasts), Howard, 60, rejected offers to join the advice ranks for years until Kinsley won her over. And though Prudence is one of Slate's hottest columns, she has no dreams of rivaling her mom. "She's an American icon," says Howard. "I'm just having fun."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!