Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Peyton Manning's Plans After Super Bowl Win: 'I Want to Go Kiss My Wife and My Kids' ... and 'Drink a Lot of Budweiser'
- Read the Cover Story: Amy Duggar King: I'm Doing It My Way
- Marshawn Lynch Appears to Retire Mid-Super Bowl
- Celebrities Cheer on Lady Gaga's Performance – Including Ellen DeGeneres: 'I'm So Glad I Loaned You My Jumpsuit'
- Saoirse Ronan Bonded with Jamie Foster Over the Pressures of Navigating Hollywood as a Former Child Star
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 27, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 22
Loretta Young's Biographer Says the Actress Finally Admitted It: Clark Gable Was Her Daughter Judy's Dad
But Young, who died of ovarian cancer in August at 87, had a change of heart. Joan Wester Anderson, author of Forever Young, a new, authorized biography of the Oscar winner, says that Young admitted to her last year that Judy, now 65, was not adopted, as Young had long insisted. She was the product of a one-night stand with married Gable while they filmed 1935's Call of the Wild.
Not that the news comes as any great surprise. In her 1994 autobiography, Uncommon Knowledge, Lewis, a divorced Los Angeles family therapist, claimed her mother had fessed up to her in 1966. Young fled to Europe after learning she was pregnant, returned to Los Angeles to have baby Judy, then sent her to a foundling home for 19 months before "adopting" her. Had the truth come out, "her career would have been finished—so would my father's," says Lewis, who met Gable only once. "She had valid reasons."
But Young, who also told Lewis she wished she had persuaded Gable to marry her, clung to her fiction, refusing to speak to Lewis for 11 years after hearing that Lewis might write an autobiography. (They made up in 1997.) Anderson, 62, says Young finally came clean because "she figured out there was a lot in her life people could gain something from." Says Lewis: "I was pleased she had the courage to tell the truth. It's a circle that's now closed."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!