Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Charlie Sheen's Daughters Are All Grown-Up in Smiley Family Photo – See the Sweet Pic!
- Read the Cover Story: Rob Kardashian & Blac Chyna: How I Finally Found Happiness
- WATCH: Taylor Lautner Is 'Basically Female Viagra' in Scream Queens Season 2
- Kourtney Kardashian Supports Sister Kim's Social Media Smackdown on Taylor Swift: 'The Truth Is the Truth'
- WATCH: Rob Lowe Is Self-Deprecating – and Buck Naked – in Roast Promo Parodying His '80s Sex Tape
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 04, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 24
Force of Habit
Sister June Wilkerson's Tattoo Removal Project Helps Turn Troubled Lives Around
Wilkerson's dedication to removing tattoos is more than skin-deep. At a community violence-prevention meeting near Los Angeles three years ago, the nun learned tattoos not only prevented people from finding jobs but also often led to attacks. That was all the nun needed to hear. With $25,000 in seed money and volunteer medical help, she founded a clinic in 1998 at the Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills that has helped 500 former gangbangers, hookers and others rid themselves of images of their former lives. "They say a leopard can't change its spots," says Daniel Medina, 54, an ex-con who now mentors juvenile prisoners, "but we are."
Still, Wilkerson's help comes at a price. Patients must either do community service or enroll in school. "No work, no removal, no exceptions," says Wilkerson, 76. Helping others transform their lives is a habit with the St. Louis native. After college, she joined the order of Sinsinawa Dominicans, a group founded by an Italian priest. Having spent most of her life teaching social studies, Wilkerson concedes that zapping tattoos may seem an unusual mission. Even so, it is an important one. "Removal," she says, "is about letting the outside reflect the inner change."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!