Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- How Will Smith's Kids Are Reacting to His Suicide Squad Role: 'This Is the First Time Where I'm Cool for Real'
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- American Surfer Survives 'Vicious' Crocodile Attack in Costa Rica Thanks to Friend Who Fought It Off with His Bare Hands
- Lindsay Davenport: Why the Atlanta Olympics Were So Special to Me and My Family
- Lindsay Lohan Hints at Relationship Trouble with Russian Love Egor Tarabasov in Cryptic Social Media Posts
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 04, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 24
Thanks to Mikki Viereck's 'A Song for My Son,' Wedding Singers Can't Tune Out the Groom's Mother
So, that night in 1991, at her Springfield, Mass., kitchen table, Viereck wrote the lyrics to "A Song for My Son." With music by local musicians Steve Moser, 42, and Bob Casinghino, 48, it was ready for the wedding. And thanks to word-of-mouth from moms whose sons have taken the plunge, Viereck has sold about 175,000 CDs and tapes. In fact, "A Song for My Son" ("I don't know where/ The time has gone/ Since those little-boy days/ Doesn't seem so long") seems well on its way to joining "Wind Beneath My Wings" as a wedding-day classic. "It was very important for me," says Sharon Hutchings of Madison, Wis., whose son Rob, 25, was married in July. "It's hard for mothers to give up their sons."
Viereck's own boys, Lino, 28, and Zach, 23, with husband Bob, 52, a welder, are both single. She sells her music via an 800 number and in some local bridal and music stores. "It's real important," she says, "for moms to have three minutes with their sons on their wedding day to give them a hug and say, 'I love you.' That's all they ever wanted."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!