Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Beauty Queen Sentenced to Prison in Fake Cancer Scam: She 'Literally Stole from Dying People'
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Michael Lohan Expresses Concern for 'Frantic' Daughter Lindsay Following Alleged Altercation with Fiancé: 'I Wanted to Get Her to a Safe Place'
- WATCH: AHS Releases First Teasers for Mysterious Season 6 – and They're Predictably Terrifying
- WATCH: Jazz Jennings Nervously Prepares for Her First Date – Even Though She Admits, 'I Still Don't Know My Sexual Orientation'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 05, 2001
- Vol. 55
- No. 9
A Private Parting
Once a Very Public Couple, Ahmad and Phylicia Rashad Quietly Call It Quits
Now a little more than 15 years later, their life together has ended on a far more private note. In December, Phylicia Rashad, 52, filed for divorce from Ahmad Rashad, 51, in Manhattan Supreme Court, citing abandonment. "They've been living separate lives for some time now," a friend told New York's Daily News, "but they held off on filing for the sake of their daughter." So far, Phylea, 14, remains with her mother.
Still, the breakup of the couple, who were introduced by Bill Cosby in 1984, was unexpected. "It was such a surprise," says James Freydberg, producer of the L.A. staging of The Vagina Monologues, in which Phylicia costarred last fall. "She gave not the slightest sign [of trouble]."
Both Rashads are familiar with the distress of separation. Phylicia split with Village People frontman Victor Willis in 1980 and was married for three years in the early '70s to dentist William L. Bowles Jr., the father of her son William, now 27, a production coordinator. Ahmad was divorced in the early '80s from Dierdre Waters, with whom he had three children, now grown.
The former Minnesota Vikings All-Pro, who officially changed his address from the couple's Mount Vernon, N.Y., home in January, issued a statement saying he was "saddened" by the divorce and asking that the family "be allowed to deal with this privately." Phylicia has seemingly turned to her career for solace. She will soon cohost benefits for Broadway Cares and breast cancer, her film The Visit opens in April, and this summer she will appear in Blue, an Off-Broadway comedy. For now, says a longtime friend, "she's fine. She's busy."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!