Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- What Made Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson's 'Connection Even Stronger' on DWTS
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 13- Apr. 19, 2015
- Cissy Houston: Bobbi Kristina Brown Has 'Irreversible Brain Damage' and 'Remains Unresponsive'
- Two Years After Losing Her Leg, Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor Crosses Finish Line
- The Inside Story on Noah Galloway's Touching DWTS Guest
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 02, 2001
- Vol. 53
- No. 13
Lady by the Lake
After 15 Years, Roman Villarreal Admits to Sculpting Chicago's Waterfront Mermaid
When workers at Burnham Park finally discovered the sculpture last November, the city started wondering too. Then Malinda Garcia, 30, came clean. In 1986, she revealed, she had spent almost two weeks posing in her bikini as her father, Roman Villarreal, and several of his artist friends chiseled the mermaid into the stone. "My dad said, 'You'll be immortal,' " recalls Garcia, a married data analyst for UnitedHealthcare with three kids. "And I was like, 'All right, cool!' "
Because he lacked the proper permits for his public art, Villarreal, 51, a former steel-mill worker, chose a seldom-visited section of the lakefront and snuck into the park in the early morning hours. "Everyone was excited because we were doing something so different," remembers the artist, who lives nearby with wife Maria, 47, an art teacher. And though he never realized his plan to create a new sculpture each summer in that same location, Villarreal admits he's pleased that park officials now plan to preserve his mysterious stone lady. "The mermaid came out of a whim," he says, "and years later it surfaces to something we never expected."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!