Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- All About That Pac-Man Superbowl Commercial
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- Which Iconic Musician Would Alanis Morissette 'Follow into a Towering Inferno?'
- Amy Poehler Receives Hasty Pudding Award from Harvard
- Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Are Getting Married Next Weekend!
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday January 31, 2015 09:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 23, 2001
- Vol. 55
- No. 16
Joe O'Donoghue Heats Up the Coolest Medium
O'Donoghue, whose work has appeared on The Rosie O'Donnell Show and the 1998 Grammy Awards, carved the elephant and the crocodile for a 1997 installation in honor of wildlife photographer Peter Beard. "I can tell him that I want a sculpture to look like the emperor Claudius," says Martha Stewart, "and he can do it."
O'Donoghue, 36, was a hotel chef on Long Island in 1992 when he stumbled onto his métier. With his family coming for brunch, he took a chain saw to a frozen block and created a whimsical horse-head centerpiece. "I had never made one before," says O'Donoghue, an 11th-grade dropout who flunked art, "but I thought it would be easy."
By the end of that year, the aspiring sculptor, who grew up in Lindenhurst, N.Y., the son of Joe, a truck driver, and Sabene, a seamstress, was out of the kitchen and in the studio. Now charging up to $750 each for his artwork, he toils in the basement of the Brooklyn building where he lives with girlfriend Norah Sullivan, 30. His work is in such demand that he employs four other sculptors, all subject to the same uncompromising artistic vision. "If I say to one of my guys, 'That looks like an ice sculpture,' " says O'Donoghue, "that's bad."
January 31, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!