Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Sports, Planes and Wine, Oh My! The 8 Best Photos From Prince William and Princess Kate's Fourth Day in Canada
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Why Author Jennifer Weiner Chose To Reveal Her Father Died From a Drug Overdose
- Sarah Jessica Parker Reveals She Got 'Cold Feet' About Sex and the City, Once Again Denies Kim Cattrall Feud
- Kim Kardashian West Is 'So Over' Her Feud with Taylor Swift: 'I Don't Want to Talk About Her Anymore'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 23, 2001
- Vol. 55
- No. 16
Joe O'Donoghue Heats Up the Coolest Medium
O'Donoghue, whose work has appeared on The Rosie O'Donnell Show and the 1998 Grammy Awards, carved the elephant and the crocodile for a 1997 installation in honor of wildlife photographer Peter Beard. "I can tell him that I want a sculpture to look like the emperor Claudius," says Martha Stewart, "and he can do it."
O'Donoghue, 36, was a hotel chef on Long Island in 1992 when he stumbled onto his métier. With his family coming for brunch, he took a chain saw to a frozen block and created a whimsical horse-head centerpiece. "I had never made one before," says O'Donoghue, an 11th-grade dropout who flunked art, "but I thought it would be easy."
By the end of that year, the aspiring sculptor, who grew up in Lindenhurst, N.Y., the son of Joe, a truck driver, and Sabene, a seamstress, was out of the kitchen and in the studio. Now charging up to $750 each for his artwork, he toils in the basement of the Brooklyn building where he lives with girlfriend Norah Sullivan, 30. His work is in such demand that he employs four other sculptors, all subject to the same uncompromising artistic vision. "If I say to one of my guys, 'That looks like an ice sculpture,' " says O'Donoghue, "that's bad."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!