Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Shop the Genius Tool Used at the Victoria's Secret Runway Show!
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- VIDEO SNEAK PEEK: Ricki Lake Creates New Documentary for World AIDS Day with the Help of Social Media Stars
- Five Ways to Wear Leggings in the Outside World, Brought to You by Gigi, Kendall and More
- VIDEO: Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi Shares What Superpower She Would Want to Have
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 07, 2001
- Vol. 55
- No. 18
Letting Women Enjoy Figure Control and Sexy Sandals, Sara Blakely Scores in Stores with Her Hose with No Toes
Blakely, 30, who had previously tried to market the idea to hosiery manufacturers with no success, decided to solve the problem for all women. Drawing $5,000 from her savings, she created Spanx, footless panty hose with an adjustable band around the calf. (The band can be raised or lowered to accommodate skirts or slacks.) Since the hose, which retail for $20 and come in black or nude, were introduced in stores last year, more than 50,000 pairs have been sold. "Wearing hosiery with an open-toe shoe is a fashion no-no," says Diane Mellar, a buyer with Neiman Marcus department stores. "Spanx allows people to be fashionable but still have the smoothing features of hosiery."
Grateful for Oprah's inadvertent inspiration, Blakely, the daughter of John, a Clearwater, Fla., attorney, and Ellen, an artist, sent the talk show host a basket of Spanx last fall and garnered herself an on-air plug and an invitation to appear on Oprah's show in November. Says Blakely: "I call it my full-circle moment."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!