Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 16-Year-Old Cancer Patient Who Always Gives Back to Others Is Asking for Cards for His Birthday: 'It Makes Me Feel Special'
- Read the Cover Story: The Bachelorette's Kaitlyn and Shawn 'It Was Love At First Sight!'
- Bob and Cortney Novogratz Blog: Our Moving Tips That Will Make Your Life as Stress-Free as Possible
- Escaped Inmate Captured After Allegedly Killing Pennsylvania Woman
- Gisele Bündchen Allegedly Steps Out Wearing a Burqa to Conceal Identity
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 07, 2001
- Vol. 55
- No. 18
When the NBA Playoffs Began, Hoops Star Kobe Bryant Had Already Won a Ring—By Marrying Vanessa Laine
Sure enough, Bryant, 22, looked neat and stuff when he walked down the aisle with Vanessa Laine, 18, at their surprise wedding April 18—right before the defending-champion Lakers began the playoffs. Bryant, in a black suit, and his bride, in a full-length Vera Wang and $500,000 worth of baubles, whisked only a dozen guests to secluded St. Edward Catholic Church in Dana Point, 90 minutes south of L.A. There the two strolled under a heart-shaped arch and over rose petals on the way to swapping platinum and diamond wedding bands. "They are sweet together and very much in love," says Ann Whatu, co-owner of Santa Monica jeweler Rafinity, which made the rings. (Laine's totaled 5 carats, Bryant's 15.) "Vanessa helped design Kobe's wedding band. He just loves that she did that for him."
Bryant gave Laine a 7½-carat engagement ring in May 2000, when she was still in high school. Fond of daredevil stunts like bungee jumping and parasailing, the couple picked a rare off day for Bryant to squeeze in their secret nuptials. (He told team-mates at practice the next day.) In lieu of a honeymoon, Laine watched her new hubby score 28 points in a playoff win four days later. "There wasn't really a perfect time to do it," says Whatu. "But they wanted to have a private, intimate moment together, and they succeeded." Plus, Bryant's size 14 shoes stayed laced.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!