Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Heidi Pratt's Father Arrested on Child Sex Abuse Charges
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- Harry Potter Star Robbie Coltrane Hospitalized in Florida
- Kim Kardashian's Ultimate Instagram? See Her and Kanye with President Obama
- Val Kilmer Rushed to the Hospital for Throat Tumor: Report
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday January 31, 2015 12:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 21, 2001
- Vol. 55
- No. 20
Hold the Limo! Everett Marshall Iii, the Mayor of Newfield, N.j., Prefers His Fleet of Tiny Matchbox Cars
That was when she discovered the depth of her husband's feelings for Matchbox toys. "He looked at me," she says, "and told me he had to go out and repurchase all the cars because the box makes it more valuable." In fact, Marshall's Matchbox mania, nurtured during much of his 51 years, has made the Newfield, N.J., mayor one of the world's foremost collectors of the teeny toys—"the high priest of Matchbox," in the words of Jim Alley, a senior vice president of Mattel, Inc., which acquired Matchbox in 1997. His 26,000-piece collection—worth at least $500,000, Marshall estimates—has long since outgrown his home and occupies its very own free museum, visited by hundreds of toy enthusiasts every year, in what used to be his grandfather's garage.
Marshall, son of the late Everett II, a trucking executive, and Elizabeth, 78, a homemaker, isn't into Matchbox cars for the money. "Numbers," he says, "don't really matter to me. I want people to see what there is." There may be another explanation: "I walk in on him sometimes," says Christine, 49, "and he's rolling trucks across the desk. He's still a kid."
January 30, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!