Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Cat Finds Way Back to Her Family After 11 Years Apart
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- RHOC's Shannon Beador Squashes Hopes of Reconciliation with Vicki Gulvanson: 'I Don't Need to Be Her Friend'
- WATCH: Catelynn Lowell Breaks Down Over Postpartum Depression: 'I'm Not Okay'
- Cara Delevingne Flaunts Possible Engagement Ring, Reveals She's a Member of the Mile High Club
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 21, 2001
- Vol. 55
- No. 20
Hold the Limo! Everett Marshall Iii, the Mayor of Newfield, N.j., Prefers His Fleet of Tiny Matchbox Cars
That was when she discovered the depth of her husband's feelings for Matchbox toys. "He looked at me," she says, "and told me he had to go out and repurchase all the cars because the box makes it more valuable." In fact, Marshall's Matchbox mania, nurtured during much of his 51 years, has made the Newfield, N.J., mayor one of the world's foremost collectors of the teeny toys—"the high priest of Matchbox," in the words of Jim Alley, a senior vice president of Mattel, Inc., which acquired Matchbox in 1997. His 26,000-piece collection—worth at least $500,000, Marshall estimates—has long since outgrown his home and occupies its very own free museum, visited by hundreds of toy enthusiasts every year, in what used to be his grandfather's garage.
Marshall, son of the late Everett II, a trucking executive, and Elizabeth, 78, a homemaker, isn't into Matchbox cars for the money. "Numbers," he says, "don't really matter to me. I want people to see what there is." There may be another explanation: "I walk in on him sometimes," says Christine, 49, "and he's rolling trucks across the desk. He's still a kid."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!