Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Mylan CEO Says EpiPen Price Increase Was Necessary as the Company Introduces a $300 Generic Option: 'I Am a For-Profit Business'
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Student Fatally Stabbed in 'Large Fight' at Cornell University: It 'Was Supposed to Be Safe,' Sister Says
- The 6 Best Celebrity Britney Spears Impressions
- WATCH: Lance Bass Weighs in on the Possibility of a Britney Spears-Justin Collaboration
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 21, 2001
- Vol. 55
- No. 20
To Make a Long Story Short, Cliff Hillegass—Founder of Cliffs Notes—Probably Got You Through English Class
When he died on May 5 of complications from a stroke, Hillegass, 83, left behind generations of grateful high school and college students who'd made it through English Lit only because of his Cliffs Notes, the ubiquitous black-and-yellow-covered abridgments of everything from A (Absalom, Absalom!) to, well, W (Wuthering Heights).
Born in Rising City, Neb., Hillegass, the son of a rural mail carrier and a homemaker, was a traveling book salesman when a Canadian publisher gave him the idea of whacking down the great books for students. The company he started with a $4,000 loan in 1958 sold 40 years later for $14 million.
Throughout his life Hillegass was adamant that his study guides—most written by graduate students—weren't cheat sheets. "I used Cliffs Notes as they are supposed to be read," says Kimberly Newton, 36, the youngest of his five children. "I'd read the book first and then read the Cliffs Notes for insight." Still, she concedes that not every student played by those rules—to the dismay of teachers. As a student at Northeastern University in Boston, "I had one prof who said, 'I don't want any of you using Cliffs Notes,' " she says. "I never told him who I was."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!