Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Find Out What Joe Jonas Has to Say About Exes Taylor, Demi and Gigi on WWHL's Plead the Fifth!
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Melanie Griffith on Being 'Introspective' and 'Totally Curious' About Her New Path in Life
- Oprah Winfrey, Kelly Clarkson, Kerry Washington and More React to Hillary Clinton's Nomination on Twitter
- Pretty Little Liars Star Troian Bellisario Doesn't Want Any Part of the Taylor vs. Kim Feud: 'I Would Choose the Green Party'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 23, 2001
- Vol. 56
- No. 4
With A.J. McLean Fighting Depression and Alcoholism, the Backstreet Boys Take An Unscheduled De-Tour
McLean's difficulties apparently became more and more noticeable over the past year. "[The group] told me he's been missing meetings and staying out late," says MTV News correspondent John Norris, who conducted the interview. "He would keep partying and not make the call the next day." What precipitated his tailspin is anyone's guess, but friends agree that the recent death at age 81 of McLean's grandmother Ursula Fernandez, who helped raise him, affected him deeply. "He was heartbroken," says McLean's close friend Rachel Zoe Rosenzweig, a stylist for the band.
That may explain the lyrics to a song McLean was shown composing in a home video on TRL. "What do people really want?" he sang in the clip. "They wanna be happy."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!