Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Madonna Longs for 'Days of Innocence' with Son Rocco as Custody Battle Rages on: 'How I Miss This Time'
- Read the Cover Story: Ryan Reynolds: Sexiest Dad Alive
- Sacha Baron Cohen Shocks Again! Shows Brothers Grimsby Clip Too Graphic for TV to Jimmy Kimmel Live! Audience
- Khloé Kardashian and Lamar Odom Seen Together for the First Time Since Accident on Their Way to N.Y.C
- FROM EW: Ryan Reynolds Says X-Men Origins: Wolverine Was a 'Frustrating Experience'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 23, 2001
- Vol. 56
- No. 4
Once Roseanne's TV Son, Michael Fishman, 19, Takes on a Grown-Up Role: Dad
These days Fishman is learning about parental discipline from the other side. He welcomed son Aaron on Nov. 19,1999, a month after marrying wife Jenny, now 21 and a stay-at-home mom. "People seem to have a hard time dealing with the fact that I am so young and with a family," says Fishman, who proposed to Jenny shortly after they met when he picked up his brother Matthew, now 10, at a daycare center where she worked.
Fishman grew up fast after being selected by Roseanne for the part in 1988. "From the first interview," he says, "I started calling it 'my job.' " Roseanne, too, was sold from the start. "Michael had comedic timing even at 6," she recalls.
After Roseanne went off the air in '97, Fishman continued in 10th grade at a public school where he fell in with a bad crowd, and in an incident that could have been lifted from the show, got suspended briefly for being involved in the theft of a purse. Unhappy at school, he left and earned his diploma through independent study at his parents' Orange County, Calif., home, where he still lives with his wife and baby. (Mom Darlene, 52, teaches nursing, and dad Nelson, 55, runs a cabin-rental business.)
Since Roseanne didn't make him "a ton of money," Fishman says, he welcomes acting gigs (he has a tiny role in A.I.) and hopes one day to buy a house. Meanwhile he has plenty of time to bond with Aaron and coach Little League. "It's very rewarding," says Fishman, "if I make a difference to a kid."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!