Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Outlander Recap: Claire Is Forced to Choose Between Jamie and Frank
- Read the Cover Story: Jill and Derick Dillard Share Their Baby Boy's Dramatic Arrival
- Hillary Scott on Lady Antebellum's Tour Bus Fire: It's 'Nothing Compared to What It Could Have Been'
- The Untold Story of Rock Hudson's Final Days
- Jill (Duggar) and Derick Dillard: Israel David's Birth Brought Us Closer Together
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 27, 2001
- Vol. 56
- No. 9
Keys to Success
Touring Nonstop, R&B Sensation Alicia Keys Could Use a Little R&R
Not unlike her career. The 20-year-old classically trained pianist, up for an MTV video music award next month and now on an 11 city tour, made a major splash in July when her debut album, Songs in A Minor, shot to No. l on Billboard's Top 200. It has hovered near the top ever since, a testament to more than Keys's dazzling smile. "She is bluesy, classical and infuses R&B and hip-hop into her songs," says Vibe music editor Shani Saxon. "Alicia has a broad appeal."
Influenced by everyone from Prince to Nina Simone, "Alicia always wanted to be a singer, even when we were 5 and playing with Barbies," says pal Katrina Morales, now 21 and a research assistant. Keys, who was raised by her single mother, Terri Augello, 51, a Manhattan actress and paralegal (her father, Craig Cook, 48, is a Colorado-based flight attendant), was 16 when she was accepted by Columbia—the record label and the university. After four weeks she dropped out of school to focus on music and has since signed with J records. Regrets? She's had a few—like having to settle for stolen moments with her boyfriend (whom she won't identify). Not that Keys is complaining about the newfound success. After all, this stage of her career, she says, "is a priceless moment. Like your first kiss, it never happens again."
April 18, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!