Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Helen Mirren, Bradley Cooper, Kristin Chenoweth Lead 2015 Tony Nominees
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 20- Apr. 26, 2015
- PHOTO: Shia LaBeouf Goes Full-On Lumbersexual (But Don't Worry, He's Still Got the Rattail)
- Smooth Move! Simon Cowell Sweeps Katie Couric Off Her Feet with Dapper Dip on the Red Carpet
- Rebecca Romijn Previews Skin Wars Season 2 with Super Sexy Tigress Teaser
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 17, 2001
- Vol. 56
- No. 12
By Zeus, It's a Boy!
After a Herculean Effort, Kevin Sorbo and Wife Sam Welcome Their First Child
"About 18 minutes," he replied. Then, as Sorbo recalls, "I said, 'What's wrong?' She said, 'Well, my water broke.' I jumped right off."
The next afternoon, Sorbo, 42, stood beside Sam, 36, in a hospital delivery room and, supervised by her obstetrician, prepared to sever the umbilical cord of their first child, 7-lb. 8-oz. Braeden Cooper. "I was crying so hard," says the actor. "I said to the doctor, 'Make sure I cut the right thing, because I can't see.' "
In part, they were tears of relief. After meeting on Hercules' New Zealand set in 1996, when Sam made a guest appearance, the couple wed on Jan. 5, 1998. Their plan was to start a family immediately. Nearly two years later, they were still trying. "Every doctor we went to said we were both fine," says Sorbo. Two of them offered a theory, which Sorbo accepts: "The stress we were putting on getting pregnant stopped us from succeeding," he says. Then last December, just as they had begun mulling adoption, Sam learned she was pregnant.
The couple—who spend much of their time at a second home in Vancouver, where Andromeda, the sci-fi series in which Sorbo plays a starship captain, is filmed—can't wait to have another child. "I changed his diaper this morning," says Sorbo. "It didn't bug me at all. Being a father is so cool."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!