Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Meet Korea's Biggest Hearthrob Lee Min Ho (His Perfect Day Off Includes a Ton of Sleeping!)
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Tinsley Mortimer Finalizes Deal with Ex to Have Case Dismissed After Trespassing Arrest: 'She Can Finally Move On with Her Life,' Source Says
- Teen with Cancer Marries High School Sweetheart from Hospital Bed: 'Love Is Still Possible'
- Ellen Page Is Impressed By Her Girlfriend's DIY Skills: 'She's Pretty Much Good At All Things'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 12, 2001
- Vol. 56
- No. 20
Queen of Green
Jennifer Stewart Takes the Liberty of Putting Herself on a Pedestal to Raise Money for the Victims of Sept. 11
Then came the Sept. 11 attacks. Since then Stewart, 44, averaging three to four hours a day standing motionless on the streets of New York City, has raised $10,000 for the American Red Cross and her local Brooklyn firehouse, which lost seven men in the Twin Towers.
Stewart, who grew up in Audubon, Iowa, has been perfecting her Lady Liberty act since 1986, the statue's centennial year, when she won a national Statue of Liberty look-alike contest. Two years later, while taking graduate courses in art therapy, she took her gig to Manhattan's Washington Square Park, getting, she says, "a powerful emotional reward" from performing in public. And her corporate jobs paid well, up to $3,000 a day. Says Richard Aaron, president of the trade-show Web site bizbash.com who has worked with Stewart, "People wait all day to get their picture taken with her."
By early 2001, Stewart, divorced since 1988, was contemplating going back to Iowa. "I missed the green grass," she says. Now, however, as passersby drop bills and coins in the plastic bucket at her feet, she says, "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world. I'm a New Yorker."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!