Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kelly Clarkson: Inside Her Life as a Mom
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs, Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- The Truth Behind Faith Hill's Neck Scar
- Anthony Mason, Retired NBA Player and Knicks Star, Dies at 48
- Zelda Williams On Keeping Her Dad's Memory Alive: He Is 'Impossible To Forget'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 12, 2001
- Vol. 56
- No. 20
Queen of Green
Jennifer Stewart Takes the Liberty of Putting Herself on a Pedestal to Raise Money for the Victims of Sept. 11
Then came the Sept. 11 attacks. Since then Stewart, 44, averaging three to four hours a day standing motionless on the streets of New York City, has raised $10,000 for the American Red Cross and her local Brooklyn firehouse, which lost seven men in the Twin Towers.
Stewart, who grew up in Audubon, Iowa, has been perfecting her Lady Liberty act since 1986, the statue's centennial year, when she won a national Statue of Liberty look-alike contest. Two years later, while taking graduate courses in art therapy, she took her gig to Manhattan's Washington Square Park, getting, she says, "a powerful emotional reward" from performing in public. And her corporate jobs paid well, up to $3,000 a day. Says Richard Aaron, president of the trade-show Web site bizbash.com who has worked with Stewart, "People wait all day to get their picture taken with her."
By early 2001, Stewart, divorced since 1988, was contemplating going back to Iowa. "I missed the green grass," she says. Now, however, as passersby drop bills and coins in the plastic bucket at her feet, she says, "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world. I'm a New Yorker."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!