Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- UFC Champion Ronda Rousey KOs Challenger in 34 Seconds, Tells Her 'Don't Cry'
- The Style Top 5: Reese Witherspoon Channels Elle Woods,
Steal the Styles from Wet Hot American Summer and More
- Beatrice Borromeo Wears Armani (Twice!) for Round Two of Her Monaco Royal Nuptials
- Cara Delevingne Shows Off Pink 'Do Watching St. Vincent at Music Festival
- Kelly Rutherford's Emotional Six-Year Custody Battle in 5 Clicks
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 26, 2001
- Vol. 56
- No. 22
Picks and Pans Review: American Classics
(Tues.-Fri., Nov. 27-30, 9 p.m. ET)
How to describe a survey that segues from the Good Humor man to Muhammad Ali to the smiley-face buttons of the '70s? I call it a pop cultural hodgepodge; The History Channel calls it American Classics. Host'Dick Clark says this four-part program is about the "icons" that "symbolize our national identity as Americans." Plenty of authors and academics show up to discuss which personalities and products qualify as true classics.(If New York University media expert Mark Crispin Miller is too earnest, you might prefer "rock and roll historian" Harry Hepcat.) Yet all this talk is merely an excuse to flip through the American scrap-book and learn, among other things, who created Uncle Sam and what made Betty Grable World War IPs hot pinup.
It's a treat to meet Gerry Thomas, inventor of the TV dinner. The more familiar the subjects—Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley—the less interesting American Classics becomes. When the program rhapsodizes about the Harley-Davidson motorcycle or the Chevy Corvette, it's barely distinguishable from advertising.
Bottom Line: Not among the classics
August 01, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!