Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Pink Appointed as UNICEF Ambassador: 'The Fire Was Lit Because I'm a Mama'
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Classes at University of Chicago Cancelled Due to Campus Shooting Threat Posted Online
- President Obama Pays His Respects to Paris Victims at Bataclan Memorial
- PHOTOS: Hello, Princess Charlotte! See Two Sweet New Pics of the Little Royal
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 26, 2001
- Vol. 56
- No. 22
In Search of the Real Cleopatra
A New Exhibition Reveals That Brains, Not Beauty, Gave the Jewel of the Nile Her Glitter
Instead, scholars now believe, she was an irresistible combination of brains and charisma. "There was an aura about her that she promoted," says the British Museum's Dr. Susan Walker. "She was good at mystique." Born in 69 B.C., Cleopatra VII inherited the throne at 17. To bolster her power she learned several languages. She also married her two brothers and later killed one. When Julius Caesar took Alexandria in 48 B.C., she smuggled herself into his palace in a bedroll. After his murder in 44 B.C., Cleopatra took up with Mark Antony, who would later battle co-ruler Octavian for control of the Roman Empire. Antony's defeat and suicide in 30 B.C. led her to end her own life with the sting of an asp.
Octavian promoted the myth of Cleopatra as a harlot, but her alliances with powerful men had little to do with her looks. Says David Foster of the Field Museum: "She was one of the most politically savvy people alive."
November 26, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!