Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Former Law & Order Director Sentenced to 10 Years Probation for Child Pornography Charges
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- Hillary Clinton Takes Giant Selfie with Digital Content Creators at Town Hall Discussion: 'We Have to Send This to Ellen!'
- John Mayer Says He's 'Ready' to Find His Next Girlfriend: 'I'm More Mature Than I've Ever Been'
- Former American Idol Contestant John Stevens Hit By Van in Massachusetts
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 29, 2002
- Vol. 57
- No. 16
Picks and Pans Review: Ashanti
A ubiquitous guest vocalist on hip-hop hits by Ja Rule ("Always On Time"), Fat Joe ("What's Luv?") and Big Pun ("How We Roll"), Ashanti, 21, has shown that a pretty voice can temper the roughest rapper's rhymes. But it's one thing to sing a hook on someone else's record, quite another to carry your own album, as Ashanti fails to do on this desultory debut. Blending hip-hop and soul, evocative of Mary J. Blige or Faith Evans, Ashanti, with her sweet but slight soprano, doesn't have the grit and power of those divas. It doesn't help that, despite sporadic sampling (one from DeBarge's "Stay with Me" on the Top 5 single "Foolish"), many of the songs, all cowritten by Ashanti, lack memorable melodies. This is especially apparent on tedious ballads like "Rescue," which are just plain slow.
Bottom Line: Solo struggle
- Chuck Arnold,
- Ralph Novak,
- Kyle Smith.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!