Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Could Melissa McCarthy Kick Vin Diesel's Butt in Furious 8? Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham Think So
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- J.K. Rowling Shuts Down the Westboro Baptist Church's Message of Hate Like a Boss
- From SI: Ray McDonald Arrested for Violating Restraining Order
- Your Daily Cuteness Allotment: Two 'Puppy-Sized' Baby Bears Frolicking Without a Care (Video)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 29, 2002
- Vol. 57
- No. 16
Hot Off the Press
Small-Time Texas Publishers Jean and Mike Hardy Score Big with a Bridges Sequel
Waller's effort—the sequel to his '92 blockbuster which sold a record 12 million hardcovers—had been turned down by his publisher, Warner Books, because it fails to reunite Bridges' photographer Robert Kincaid with his paramour Francesca. But Jean, 58, who with husband Mike, 59, also owns the tiny John M. Hardy Publishing Co., had no such reservations. "I stammered, 'Well, yes, we can talk,' " she says.
With that, the Hardys—whose grandest project to date had been a local guidebook that sold 3,000 copies—took on A Thousand Country Roads. Planning to publish only 25,000 copies, they quickly had to enlist outside printers and distributors to help them with advance orders for 330,000.
Why did the reclusive Waller, 62—who was widely panned in 1997 for leaving his wife of 35 years for landscaper Linda Bow, then 34—choose the Hardys? "Well," he says with a laugh, "they were in town." If his new work, out this week, hits big, the Hardys (who own a second bookstore in nearby Marathon) have a plan. "I'd love to add a coffee-and-wine bar," says Jean. "Wouldn't that be wonderful?"
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!