- In Honor of the Horror Master: Relive Wes Craven's Scariest Movie Moments
- Read the Cover Story: Meet the American Heroes Who Stopped French Train Attack
- Happy 45th Birthday, Queen Rania! Stunning Looks from the Stylish Royal
- Fit for a Princess! Hayden Christensen Explains Meaning Behind Daughter's Name
- Zoë Saldana's Advice on Getting Fit After Baby: 'Be Easy on Yourself'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- April 29, 2002
- Vol. 57
- No. 16
As Ally McBeal's Coretta Lipp, Regina Hall Wins on Appeal
Instead, Hall, 31, was so convincing as strait-laced attorney Coretta Lipp that series creator David E. Kelley made her a regular last fall. Stepping into a courtroom, however, has been less of a change than stepping into what Hall calls her character's "hot" designer suits. "I prefer jeans and T-shirts," she says. That's hardly news to Hall's costars. "Coretta," says Greg Germann, 44, who plays lawyer Richard Fish, "is a bit buttoned-down, but it's all we can do to keep Regina from dancing on the tables!"
The youngest of three children raised in Washington, D.C., by a contractor and a teacher, Hall became enamored of acting after seeing The Exorcist when she was 3. "I came home and said in this raspy voice, 'Mommy, I'm possessed!' " Hall says. But it wasn't until after she earned a 1997 master's in journalism from New York University that she decided to take drama classes. Within two years she had leaped from a McDonald's commercial to big-screen roles that ranged from a stripper in The Best Man to a terrified teen in the Scary Movie films.
But there's one role that Hall—who for the past year has been dating Damien Wayans, 22, a comedy writer for My Wife and Kids (starring his uncle Damon)—thinks she'll never play: that of a singer on the musical Ally set. "I haven't been allowed!" she says. "David [E. Kelley] must have planted a bug in my shower."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!