Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Jeremiah Brent on Sharing Daddy Duties with Husband Nate Berkus: 'As a Parent, You Kind of Just Fall Into Your Roles'
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- WATCH AND SHOP: The Tweed Dress Ideal for Curvy Body Types
- WATCH: Is Simone Biles Really Dating Her 'Brazilian Boyfriend!?' Is Aly Raisman Excited for Her Date with Raiders' Tight End Colton Underwood?!
- Angela Kinsey Shares How Her Daughter Isabel Makes Her 'Heart Melt'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 13, 2002
- Vol. 57
- No. 18
Bringing Up Barbie
Ruth Handler Decided to Give Playthings Some Grown-Up Pizzazz—and Gave Birth to the World's Most Popular Doll
Maybe that's because as a career woman, Barbie could never top her maker. Handler, who died at 85 on April 27 of complications from colon surgery, revolutionized the toy trade with the busty billion-seller, launching an American icon and an empire for the Mattel toy company. Says daughter Barbara Segal, 60: "She was a dynamic lady ahead of her time."
The daughter of Polish immigrants, the Denver native co-founded Mattel with her industrial-designer husband and another partner in 1945. Barbie was born in 1959 after Handler, the firm's marketing whiz, noticed her daughter preferred adult paper dolls to baby dolls. Using a curvy German figurine (a spinoff from a salacious cartoon) as a model, Handler named the 11½-in blonde after Barbara. Beau Ken (named for Handler's son, who died in 1994) followed in 1961. But Barbie stayed a working woman. "My whole philosophy," Handler wrote, "was that through the doll, the little girl could be anything she wanted to be."
Handler rebounded from '70s woes—she battled breast cancer, then was ousted from Mattel over charges of accounting fraud—with another creation: a line of realistic prosthetic breasts she developed after undergoing a mastectomy. Says her husband: "She was brilliant and brave."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!