Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Insurgent Scoop (and Photos!) You Won't Get Anywhere Else
- Read the Cover Story: What Caused This Teenager to Murder His Parents?
- Stephen Fishbach's Survivor Blog: Good Naked, Bad Naked and a 'Classic Overplay'
- How Did Empire's Taraji P. Henson Turn $700 into Hollywood Stardom?
- Christopher Plummer to Be Immortalized Outside the TCL Chinese Theatre
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 03, 2002
- Vol. 57
- No. 21
An L.A. Artist Makes His Entrance with An Exit
It was also illegal—but the California Department of Transportation didn't discover the forgery until a pal of Ankrom's tattled to the press last month. (The artist had hoped to unveil a video of his "performance" at a gallery this summer.) Though Caltrans spokeswoman Deborah Harris complains that Ankrom "put himself in danger, as well as motorists underneath the sign," she says the agency won't pursue charges against Ankrom, adding, "He obviously put a lot of time and energy" into the project.
In fact it took two years to plan, a week to assemble in his loft and 20 minutes to install. Ankrom found the specs on government Web sites and purchased the materials for $350. To pass as a road worker, he bought a hard hat and an orange vest, created a fake work order and had his shoulder-length locks shorn. "I told the barber, 'Make me look like Johnny Lunchbox,'" he says.
Ankrom, whose oeuvre also includes neon stun guns and swords studded with roses, pays the bills by crafting signs for local stores. He didn't make a dime on his freeway frolic, but that's okay: With an average of 161,500 viewers a day, he can't beat the exposure.
March 05, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!