- FROM EW: Jon Favreau to Direct a New Adaptation of The Lion King
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- WATCH: Usain Bolt Races James Corden and Owen Wilson in Hilarious Parking Lot Sprint (You Can Probably Guess Who Won)
- Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado Speaks Out After Donald Trump Continues to Attack Her Weight: 'It's a Really Bad Dream for Me'
- WATCH: Kate Hudson Says Working with Kurt Russell Reminded Her Why She Fell in Love with Making Movies
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- June 17, 2002
- Vol. 57
- No. 23
A New Life
Daniel Pearl's Wife, Mariane, Welcomes Baby Adam
A Buddhist, Mariane, 34, says she has leaned heavily on her beliefs since her 38-year-old husband, the South Asia bureau chief for The Wall Street Journal, disappeared while investigating Islamic extremists in Pakistan earlier this year. After a grisly videotape delivered to the American consulate in Karachi proved Daniel had been murdered, Mariane opted to stay for a time in Pakistan to "show defiance against fear," as she later explained in a New York Times editorial.
Now living in Paris, Pearl, who is writing a book about her experiences, played host to Laura Bush two weeks before Adam's birth. "One of the things they [talked] about," reports presidential advisor Karen Hughes, who was along for the visit, "was that it is important for everyone in all countries to teach children that it is wrong to hate."
September 28, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!