Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Beauty Gifts She'll Love, from Stocking Stuffer to Splurge
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Two 19-Year-Old Guys Create 'The PMS Package' to Comfort Girls on Their Periods
- Florida Police Launch Investigation After Woman Shares Photo of Dog With Muzzle Duct-Taped Shut
- Police Officer Slain in Planned Parenthood Shooting Volunteered to Respond to the Scene, Was a Competitive Ice Dancer
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 17, 2002
- Vol. 57
- No. 23
In Her Private Life, Boston Public's Tenacious Teacher Sharon Leal Makes Tracks as a Musician and Mother
Turns out Leal herself can keep a few secrets too. Last October the actress, 29, and her boyfriend Bev Land, 24, an aspiring filmmaker and father of their then month-old son Kai, got married in an L.A. courthouse—a fact she casually let slip to her stunned castmates a month later. "My fear was that once we got married, everything would change," Leal explains in the family's West Hollywood bungalow. "But things stayed the same."
A welcome rarity in Leal's life. Her father was a military policeman in the Philippines who broke up with her pregnant mother, Angelita, in 1971. Soon after, Angelita, now 51 and a homemaker, wed Jesse Leal, an Air Force sergeant. Though they split when Sharon was 7 and both remarried, Leal says she has "stayed very close" to her adoptive dad, now 52 and a fourth-grade teacher in El Paso. Jesse cheered her acting ambitions after she graduated in 1990 from Roosevelt School of the Arts in Fresno, Calif.
After Leal's mid-'90s stints on Guiding Light and UPN's Legacy, the bell rang for Boston Public in 2000, the same year a friend introduced her to Land. Now Leal, who sings on the show, is cutting an R&B album with Universal Records. She also croons nightly to her son. "Kai loves it," says Land, "when she sings 'Old MacDonald.'" Soulfully, no doubt.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!