Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Mariah Carey and Brett Ratner Stroll Arm-in-Arm in St. Barts After Denying Their Romance
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- We're Dye-ing Over these Easter Egg Designs
- FROM EW: Prince Sued in Legal Battle Over The Voice Singer Judith Hill
- From Homeless to Music Stardom: Doug Seegers on His 'Roller Coaster' Life
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 22, 2002
- Vol. 58
- No. 4
When a Role Called for Gutsy Power, Rod Steiger Was a Sure Contender
The ladies got one less hunk, but Hollywood gained the Legend, as his friend Pierce Brosnan always called him. Steiger, who died at 77 on July 9 following surgery for an intestinal tumor, was powerful in role after role: a corrupt lawyer in 1954's On the Waterfront, for which he was nominated for a Supporting Actor Oscar; a bigoted sheriff in '67's In the Heat of the Night, which brought a Best Actor Oscar; a jealous farmhand (Oklahoma!); a Russian cad (Doctor Zhivago).
He vanished from movies in the '80s, crippled by a depression that led to three suicide attempts before he was treated with medication. "I have experienced the pain...the embarrassment," he said in 1994. That shared suffering was the basis for his friendship with Elizabeth Taylor, who was housebound by the illness in the 1990s. "I will miss his gruff tenderness and humor," Taylor says.
In his last few years Steiger—whose four previous wives included actress Claire Bloom—at last succeeded as a romantic lead. He wed actress Joan Benedict, 60, in 2000. "Every day he bought me roses—a huge bouquet," says Benedict. "He was so grateful he had finally found happiness."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!