Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Stranded Boaters Rescued from Uninhabited South Pacific Island After Writing 'SOS' in Sand
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Britney Spears Says Carpool Karaoke was 'a Little Awkward' as She Calls James Corden a 'Teddy Bear'
- NBA Star Dwyane Wade's Cousin Killed in Chicago Crossfire: 'Another Act of Senseless Gun Violence'
- Donald Trump's Doctor Admits He Wrote GOP Nominee's Health Report in Just 5 Minutes
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 09, 2002
- Vol. 58
- No. 11
Play That Punky Music
Teen-Pop Sensation Avril Lavigne Makes a Big Noise as the 'Anti-Britney'
Her music has plenty of edge as well. Let Go, Lavigne's Top 5 debut album, containing the hit single "Complicated," is a punky, pop confection of teen angst. A native of Napanee, Ont., Lavigne, the middle child of Judy, 47, a homemaker, and John, 48, a telephone repairman, started out singing at fairs. When she went to meet a record producer in 2000, she ignored her parents' advice to put on a "nice" outfit. "I'd be like, 'Bye, Mom, bye, Dad,' then go into the bathroom and put my baggy clothes on," she says.
She has been equally dismissive of stylists pining for her to wear skimpy stage clothes à la Britney Spears, whom Lavigne once called "a Barbie doll." For her part, Spears agrees: "If Avril Lavigne tried to be like me, she wouldn't do well. She has to do her own thing if she wants to stand out. I respect that."
Smart move. These days, disrespecting Lavigne has its consequences. Recently at a stateside bar, "some chick started mouthing off," recalls Lavigne. "But when she started messing with me, she found herself on the ground saying, 'Sorry.' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!