Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kristen Bell Opens Up About Her Struggles with Depression: 'I Felt Worthless'
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- 10 Collar Necklaces Your Favorite LBD Needs Right Now
- Katy Perry Visits Impoverished Children in Vietnam: 'We Have to Help Them Fight for Their Dreams'
- First Baby Born in Tri-State Area With Zika-Related Defects Delivered in New Jersey
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 09, 2002
- Vol. 58
- No. 11
Keith Taylor Uses His Internet Charity, Modest Needs, to Give Others a Helping Hand
To finance his good works, Taylor donates $500 a month from his $35,000 salary and collects thousands more in online donations. Bombarded with 500 e-mail requests a week, he chooses recipients whose needs are truly urgent, but who seem to have a real chance of getting back on their feet with a little boost. "Keith has always been a champion of the underdog," says his father, Toby, 63, a retired trucking executive. (Keith's mother, Hope, 60, is a nurse; sister Laura, 31, is a decorator in Birmingham, Ala.) Taylor hatched the idea for his charity because friends and family helped him out financially when he was a struggling grad student. "The most someone ever gave me was $300," he says. "But it was life-changing money at the time."
Divorced since 1999 (ex-wife Allison, a preschool teacher, and son Gabriel, 5, live in Texas), Taylor hopes to raise $5 million within five years and eventually open Modest Needs offices nationwide. "People really do want to help others," he says. "All it takes is willingness to act on the desire."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!