Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Donald Trump Had a Short Cameo in a 2000 Playboy 'Centerfold' Video
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Paris Jackson Enjoys PDA-Filled Vacation with Boyfriend Michael Snoddy
- Former Power Rangers Star Ricardo Medina Jr. Denies Killing His Roommate with a Sword
- Family Love! Tracee Ellis Ross Shares Cute Snapshot of Mom Diana Ross and Sisters
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 30, 2002
- Vol. 58
- No. 14
Picks and Pans Review: In-Laws
If I say this new series copies a movie, don't make the logical mistake of thinking it's the 1979 comedy The In-Laws. I'm talking about a picture that wasn't as good—the 2000 hit Meet the Parents.
Parents was the obvious inspiration for NBC's tacky summer reality series Meet My Folks. Now the network strip-mines the same territory in this sitcom, which premieres Sept. 24 with two episodes. Young marrieds Matt (Elon Gold) and Alex (Bonnie Somerville) move in with her parents, Victor (Dennis Farina) and Marlene (Jean Smart), even though Victor is a jerk. Does this sound harshly oversimplified? You won't think so after seeing the pilot, in which the father-in-law immediately starts scowling and snarling to show he's a Robert De Niro-style intimidator. The able Farina might be able to make this work if he were given some funny lines, but the writers seem to think hostility is a howl in itself.
Bottom Line: Stay out
- Cynthia Wang.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!