Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Prince Harry Falls from His Polo Pony – But Gets Right Back in the Saddle
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Sexiest Bodyguard Alive: Meet Adele's New Steamy Security
- 16 Sure-to-Wow Gifts for $25 or Less!
- L.A. Businessman Buys 400 American Soldiers Dinner During Airport Layover: 'You Guys Risk Your Lives to Protect Me and My Family'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 07, 2002
- Vol. 58
- No. 15
It's Hip to Be Square
With a Hit CD, Room for Squares, John Mayer Cleans Up as Pop's Antipunk
Mayer, 24, will have to figure out how to celebrate somehow now that his sensitive album Room for Squares has spawned the hits "Your Body Is a Wonderland" and "No Such Thing." "He captures a sense of youthful wonder," says rock critic Anthony DeCurtis. "It's a coming-of-age record." Musically, Mayer came of age in blues nightclubs, where the singer, who was raised in Fairfield, Conn., honed his talent while working as a gas station attendant. The middle child of Margaret, a middle school English teacher, and Richard, a high school principal, Mayer allows that "there's probably one of us in every school system—the token 'see you when I'm famous' yearbook write-up guy. I said, This is what I'm going to do,' and I never stopped doing it."
His work led to a record deal, MTV exposure and eventually a brief relationship with Jennifer Love Hewitt, which ended this summer. "Anybody like me, who travels so much, just isn't there enough to sustain a relationship," if says Mayer. He isn't dating anyone now, but "playing onstage for me," he says, "is like a 90-minute flirt session. And then I go back on the bus and play with my silver flashy toys."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!