Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Which KarJenner Sister Does Kendall Consider the 'Biggest Drama Queen'?
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- FROM EW: Johnny Depp, Daisy Ridley, Michelle Pfeiffer Join Murder on the Orient Express
- Gwyneth Paltrow Celebrates Her 44th Birthday in a Sexy Bikini, Proves She Gets Better with Age
- WATCH: Ryan Reynolds Is a Step Closer to His Parenthood Goals: Hear What He Says About Growing His Family
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 18, 2002
- Vol. 58
- No. 21
Coral Allenby's Meal Delivery Program Helps Cash-Strapped Seniors Keep Their Furry Friends
Now Christmas comes all year, thanks to Coral Allenby and her staff at the Volunteers of America. As part of its companion-pet program, the group delivers cat food—as well as litter, flea-control products and vouchers for veterinary care—to Kenny's door. "A lot of these people don't have family," says Allenby, 41. "Their pet is their only companion."
The service began in 1995, when VOA's delivery drivers for the Senior Nutrition program noticed that some seniors were setting aside part of each hot meal they received to give to their dogs or cats. "That messes with the nutrition not only for the senior but also for the pet," says Allenby. With donations from manufacturers, the group now delivers pet food to almost 200 low-income pet owners who are over the age of 60, feeding about 500 cats and dogs. And the response, says Allenby, has been moving for seniors and volunteers alike. "One woman who had a rottweiler mix and a kitten was buying bread and milk to feed both of them," says Allenby. "The first time I stopped by, she just had tears in her eyes. I ended up the same way."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!