Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Italy Earthquake: Girl, 10, Rescued From Rubble as Death Toll Rises to 247
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj to Perform at MTV VMAs – Kim Kardashian West to Present!
- FROM EW: Lifetime Is Making a Britney Spears Biopic
- Jenelle Evans Confirms She's Pregnant with Her Third Child – a Baby Girl!
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 18, 2002
- Vol. 58
- No. 21
Thanks to Avid Collectors Like Cher and Melanie Griffith, Lamp Designer Kathleen Caid Has It Made in the Shade
And Caid's cash register. With lamps priced from $1,000 to $8,000, she expects her 12-year-old business to top $1 million in sales this year. "No one is making anything that is as unique and outrageous," says Manhattan interior designer and antique-store owner Alan Turak, whose tony East Coast clients are among Caid's coterie.
Caid was 25 in 1977, when her husband, Patrick, died of an aneurysm at 26. Grief-stricken and raising sons Cassidy, then 2, and Jesse, 6 months—Caid, an art school grad, supported herself by making one-of-a-kind hats she sold to L.A. stores. In 1981 a client suggested she create lamp shades in a similar vein. "I didn't have to worry about fit," says Caid, "and no one will sit on it in a taxi."
Married since 1998 to video producer Tim Melchior, 56, Caid, who lives in a Spanish-style home in Glendale, Calif., mines flea markets for material. "I only do this work," she says, laughing, "so I can go shopping."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!