Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Johnny Depp's Daughter, 15, Makes Jaw-Dropping Red Carpet Debut at Chanel (Joining These Other A-List Daughters)
- The Best Photos from the Week of Mar. 23- Mar. 29, 2015
- WATCH: Gonzo Takes On Digital Underground's 'Humpty Dance' in Latest Muppet Mash-Up
- FROM TIME: Miley Says Indiana's Religious Freedom Law Supporters 'Are Dinosaurs, and They Are Dying Off'
- Angelina Jolie on Overcoming Difficulty: 'What Does Not Kill You Makes You Stronger'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 02, 2002
- Vol. 58
- No. 23
For Their Eyes Only
Only the Kids Were Invited to Richard Gere and Carey Lowell's Nuptials
Having a wedding ceremony to prove the point, though, is a whole other matter. On Nov. 9, Gere, 53, PEOPLE'S 1999 Sexiest Man Alive, and Lowell, 41, a former star of Law & Order, stood in a field of their 27-acre Westchester County, N.Y., estate, which abuts a nature preserve, and exchanged I do's. No Buddhist vows for Gere, no wedding gown for Lowell (the bride wore slacks under a long top; the groom had on an overcoat). And no guests except for Homer, the couple's 2-year-old son, and Hannah, 12, Lowell's daughter from her first marriage, to actor-director Griffin Dunne (with whom she shares custody). "It was just a short little civil ceremony," says Pound Ridge town clerk Suzanne Beatty, who officiated.
Among the non-invitees: Gere's parents, Homer, 80, and Doris, 78, who nonetheless told PEOPLE, "We're ecstatic." The private rite seemed to suit Gere (previously wed to model Cindy Crawford) and Lowell, a couple who usually shy away from the spotlight. "I tend not to go to a lot of premieres because I find the pressure too great," Lowell said last year.
While friends say she and Gere felt no urgency to formalize their union now, "it just seemed to be the right time for both of them," says one. "They are very, very happy."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!